I love a great cupcake and I’m BIG on themed cupcakes! Themed desserts are a super fun way to try something new and yummy. I’m getting ready to have a Luau party for my mom’s birthday on Saturday and I’ve been looking up and trying new Hawaiian recipes like crazy! This Pina Colada Cupcake recipe, definitely takes the cake (no pun intended.) It’s super moist and each bite makes your mouth water, not to mention the cute decorations you can add to top it off. Try this recipe for any summer event or just as a tasty treat for yourself and your loved ones! #EatTheCake
Here’s Whatcha Need:
1 2/3 cups All-Purpose Flour
1 1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
1/8 tsp. Baking Soda
1/4 tsp. Salt
1/2 cup – unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup – granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1/3 cup canned Coconut Milk (strain any lumps)
1/3cup Pineapple Juice (from can of crushed pineapple)
1/4 tsp. Coconut Extract
1 cup well drained canned crushed pineapple (large can)
Coconut Buttercream Frosting:
1-cup butter softened (preferably 3/4 cup unsalted 1/4 cup salted)
2 tbsp. canned Coconut Milk
3/4 tsp. Coconut Extract
3 1/2 cups Powdered Sugar
3/4 cup shredded Coconut
12 Maraschino Cherries and fresh pineapple wedges for garnish
Here’s Whatcha Do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with cupcake liners, set aside.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt for 20 seconds, set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, whip together butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Mix in eggs one at a time.
- In a liquid measuring cup stir together coconut milk, pineapple juice and coconut extract. Add 1/3 of the flour mixture to the butter sugar mixture and mix on low speed until nearly combined then add in 1/2 of the coconut milk mixture and mix until nearly combined, repeat process with flour and milk mixtures once more, then mix in last 1/3 of the flour mixture (again mixing only until nearly combined – there should still be some flour streaks).
- Fold in crushed pineapple being careful not to over-mix the batter. Divide batter among prepared muffin cups filling each nearly to the top. Bake in preheated oven until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean about 19 – 23 minutes.
- Cool in muffin tin several minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Once cool frost with coconut buttercream, sprinkle-shredded coconut over top, garnish with a maraschino cherry and a small pineapple wedge if desired.
For the Coconut Buttercream:
In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment whip butter until light and fluffy. Add in coconut milk, coconut extract and 1 cup of the powdered sugar and mix until combined, then add remaining powdered sugar and whip until light and fluffy (if needed you can add in a little more coconut milk or more powdered sugar to reach desired consistency).
Makes about 12 cupcakes. #Enjoy
Recipe source: Cooking Classy